Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Broke & Crafty

In this economy, money is tight and it is hard our us artist to be crafty and save money. I ran across this website www.dollarstorecrafts.com that people post AMAZING cheap crafts for under $15. Most of the crafts I have seen are made with items I am sure you have around the house. There are a few projects I want to try myself when I am broke on a weekend.

The first is an adorable necklace holder created by WendyStarr made of any frame, scrap paper, furniture knobs, new or used and E6000 glue. I must say, they are better than anything I have seen in stores.You could even make it personal with family photos! I have some old Pinup theme calendars I have been holding on to for a reason. Props to Wendy for this great idea! Here is the link to the instructions: www.dollarstorecrafts.com/2009/05/necklace-holder. Check out her Etsy shop at wendystarr.etsy.com

I have tons of those light kits lying around my house doing nothing. And after moving from California to Arizona, there is very little need to have more than one sweater here. Now there is something I could finally use both of them for! A SweaterSleeve lamp designed by Sara Ebert for the International Contemporary Furniture Fair.


It is SUPER simple. All you need is a lamp kit, washed out bottle juice container with the label removed and an old sweater. Simply cut off the sleeve of the sweater, stretch it over the empty bottle container and insert the light kit (be sure to have a low heat bulb) and hang. Here is a link to the project for more details and comments: www.dollarstorecrafts.com/2009/05/sweater-lamp

As a girl, I read a ton of magazines and they just collect, usually under the sink in the bathroom. Hey, we are all human right? (I just don’t take books in the bathroom, we all saw that episode of Seinfeld where George got ‘flagged.’)

Anyways, The Rag & Bone came up with amazing rolled paper wreath made out of magazine pages. I have seen those recycled frames and containers online for almost $100 each! The Rag & Bone brag it will cost you under $2! You can’t beat that. Check out pending instructions at www.dollarstorecrafts.com/2009/05/rolled-wreath

Check out www.dollarstorecrafts.com daily for new stuff posted by crafty people!

No comments:

Post a Comment