Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Peace, Love and Paws

Like most of us, we all love animals. I have had two dogs to personally call my own. My first, a Westie name Abbey Road, but sadly passed away before her first birthday.

My second dog, a Dachshund/Chihuahua I found in the middle of the highway on Thanksgiving evening a few years ago. She had no collar or identification. My mom and I had just left my grandparents thanksgiving dinner and I spotted her sitting in the left turn lane at a red light. Of course I jumped out of the car leaving my mom, her dog, turkey and pumpkin pie behind.

After a long pursuit across four dark lanes of traffic, I finally was able to reach her. We knew the shelter was closed for the holiday, so I begged my mom to take her home for safe keeping until we could locate the owner.

She is the cutest darn dog. She straight down the middle with Dachshund/Chihuahua features. A long body, low to the ground with giant ears that stick straight up 9" tip to tip.


(This is her in one of her many funny t-shirts I buy her.)

She came into our lives the night before my mom was about to start radiation treatment for a second brain tumor. She was a sweet distraction to us while we tried to find the owner. My mom thought she looked like the Taco Bell dog, but I said “No mom, she is a girl, she is Taco Bella.”

After weeks of putting up posters and having the vet check for a micro chip, she became ours. Of course we had to keep the name Bella, but added Felice after it which means “lucky you” in Italian. So basically I ended up with a Mexican/German dog with an Italian name. You gotta love the cards life deals you at the moment you need them.


1 comment:

  1. wow bella is a VERY lucky dog. i do those same things. lol if i see a dog walking along the highway looking lost i pull over and risk my own life in traffic to save the dog. :o) sometimes i treat dogs better than humans. :o) anyways...my puppys name is bella too. she is a beagle, rat terrior, fox terrior mix. my uncle says shes a "faggle" hehe your doggy is super cute. Incase you didn't know...i'm melissa from adiqshun designs. you purchased some peace signs from me a few weeks ago on etsy.. i stumbled upon your etsy shop and your blog. do you do custom orders?? i love ALL your peace sign stuff and i'm thinking i may want some custom dog bowls for my bella and my lacey. hehe

    ReplyDelete